Sunday, November 15, 2015

Andy grove and CEOs

Later, in 2001, I met with Andy again and I asked him about a recent run of CEOs missing their numbers despite having told investors that their businesses were strong. The bubble had burst for the first wave of Internet companies nearly a year prior, so it surprised me that so many many of them had not seen this coming. Andy replied with an answer that I did not expect: "CEOs always act on leading indicators of good news, but only act on lagging indicators of bad news."

"Why?" I asked him. He answered in the style resonant of his entire book: "In order to build anything great, you have to be an optimist, because by definition you are trying to do something that most people would consider impossible. Optimists most certainly do not listen to leading indicators of bad news

No comments:

Post a Comment